Woodstock CUSD 200 is comprised of 11 different schools with a total of 11 buildings. Below are some more details about the school district.
Number of Buildings: 11
Total Square Footage: 100000 sq ft
Total Number of Students: 5000
Woodstock's public education system began unofficially in 1836 when Alvira Cornish taught a class of seven pupils in the house of Uriah Cottle, the first Dorr Township settler.
Ten years later, Woodstock schooling achieved public and official status when a schoolroom was set up in the frame courthouse on the public square. The teacher was David Richardson, formerly a mathematics professor from Norwich University in Vermont.
In 1847 the first schoolhouse was built in Woodstock on a school lot. Soon found to be too small, it was enlarged. In 1866 the building was sold, and in 1867 a brick building was erected at a cost of $40,000. This was a fine three-story building, 60 x 90 feet, located on South Street and containing ten rooms, each 28 x 35, and a 45 x 60-foot assembly room on the third floor.